New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Author

Topic

cevans

Administrator

United States
574 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2013 :  14:40:06  View cevans's Photo Albums  View cevans's Blog  Reply with Quote

Calling all spectrum artists! We’re looking for original art!

The book that Dr. Tony Attwood, Anita Lesko and I have been assembling - “Been there. Done that. Try this!” is now over half complete. We’re on track to finish this summer. So why are we looking for artwork? Simple. Words only tell part of the story when it comes to issues of stress. I know to people on the spectrum – many gifted with artistic abilities – that stress can have a more intense feel and, possibly a look. So what does “Anxiety” look like? And to someone with autism, what does depression look like? How about self-esteem or even faking it?

Each of the 17 research-identified issues/stressors has a chapter in the book, along with the Aspie Mentor’s "life-gained" wisdom for addressing and overcoming that issue. But I’d like to include something more… a visual, a drawing, a painting perhaps that helps explain just how painful, powerful or disturbing this stress-inducing issue really is to someone with autism.

This video tells you how your artwork can help aid understanding and be a part of this book.

Hear the video here: http://www.autismhangout.com/news-r...s.asp?id=164

Autism Hangout: Learning, sharing, thriving!

cevans

Administrator

United States
574 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2013 :  07:15:50  View cevans's Photo Albums  View cevans's Blog  Reply with Quote

Interested in submitting artwork? Watch this video FIRST!

https://vimeo.com/57533615

Then read this...

Why are we looking for artwork? Simple. Words only tell part of the story when is comes to issues of stress. I know to people on the spectrum – many gifted with artistic abilities – that stress can have a more intense feel and, possibly a look. So what does “Anxiety” look like? And to someone with autism, what does depression look like. How about self-esteem or even faking it? Here’s a list of stressors. Each has a chapter in the book, along with the Aspie Mentor’s wisdom for addressing and overcoming that issue. But I’d like to include something more… a visual, a drawing, a painting perhaps that helps explain just how painful, powerful or disturbing this stress-inducing issue really is to someone with autism.

- Anxiety
- Self Esteem/self identity
- Depression
- Meltdowns
- Making and keeping friends
- Getting and keeping a job
- Accepting and working with change
- Expressing emotions
- Living with Sensory issues
- Living with personal management issues
- Understanding intimacy, dating, sex and marriage
- Faking it
- Disclosing a diagnosis
- Bullying
- Choosing a career
- Empathetic Attunement
- Should I be tested for Asperger’s/HFA?

We're also looking for a cover for the book.

We don’t yet have a publisher. Dr. Tony, Anita and I are putting in the time and effort because we know how much this helpful information is needed by the autism community. So as much as we’d like to, we can’t pay you for your skill. But we can get some of your artwork published in this book which is going to happen. The world will see your art.

If you submit work - and we can include it - we are delighted to place your credits next to it. So we’ll need your name, your age, your country and, your website if you have one. But time is short. In order to make our deadline, we’ll need your art submissions by the end of April of this year… that’s a bit over 3 months from now.

------------

Instructions for submitting artwork:

Deadline: 4/30/13
File size: 5MB MAXIMUM
Send to: cevans@autismhangout.com

Mediums: Drawings, paintings, visuals.
The online version of the book will be in color. The printed book may only be in B&W (don't know yet).

Again, here are the stressors/issues that you should be depicting in your artwork. How do these make you feel? What do you see?

- Anxiety
- Self Esteem/self identity
- Depression
- Meltdowns
- Making and keeping friends
- Getting and keeping a job
- Accepting and working with change
- Expressing emotions
- Living with Sensory issues
- Living with personal management issues
- Understanding intimacy, dating, sex and marriage
- Faking it
- Disclosing a diagnosis
- Bullying
- Choosing a career
- Empathetic Attunement
- Should I be tested for Asperger’s/HFA?

And – when you submit your artwork - here’s that list of what I need to include you in the book (if your artwork is something we can use). This information is VERY IMPORTANT!!

- Name of the Stressor your artwork describes
- Your name
- Your age
- Your country (where you currently life)
- Your website address, if you have one. That’s not an email, that’s a website.

Write me if you have a question: cevans@autismhangout.com

Go to Top of Page

WillowHope

Forum Newbie

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2013 :  11:15:37  Reply with Quote

I'm new to this place and I haven't looked around fully yet but a friend told me about this because I'm a graphic designer, with AS. So I will have a think about which chapter title I could best interpret and have a go at drawing or painting something :) I may also have a go at the front cover. :D

Go to Top of Page

cevans

Administrator

United States
574 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2013 :  15:14:57  View cevans's Photo Albums  View cevans's Blog  Reply with Quote

Wonderful! THANK YOU FOR YOUR ENTHUSIASTIC RESPONSES!

One clarification: Several of you have sent me your website addresses along with an invitation to find something that fits. That's not the way this works for several reasons. First, we don't have the time to spend looking and second, the artwork must be YOUR interpretation of one of the 17 stressors/issues (not ours).

The challenge here is not just finding impressive artwork. It's finding artwork that helps explain what each of the stressor/issues FEELS and LOOKS like to people on the spectrum.

So please, either create or find some of your original artwork and submit that.

Thank you again for your interest!

Craig

Go to Top of Page

Spacie

Forum Newbie

United States
7 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2013 :  09:01:05  View Spacie's Blog  Reply with Quote

I know you said painting or drawing, but I prefer to sculpt. Would a sculpture have any place in this?

~Spacie~

Go to Top of Page

Topic

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Jump To:

Autism Hangout is dedicated to bringing timely, relevant news, resources and hope to those affected by autism.

Disclaimer:

Information on this web site should be used as a guide only and should not be relied upon as the sole source of information relating to its content. Additional sources of information may be listed herein. No warranty, either express or implied, is made with respect to the information contained herein. Autism Hangout, Community Hangouts and their owners/operators are not responsible for any loss, inconvenience, damage (whether special or consequential) or claims arising out of the use of the information contained on this site.

For editorial or media issues contact cevans@autismhangout.com
For technical issues contact info@autismhangout.com

Copyright 2014. All Rights Reserved.